Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    GOSSIP A - Z
    • Home
    • POLITICS
    • News
    • CELEB TRENDS
    • Health
    • Relationship
    • SPORTS
    GOSSIP A - Z
    Home ยป Russia Cautions Against Niger Military Action Amid Protests
    News

    Russia Cautions Against Niger Military Action Amid Protests

    ianBy ianAugust 11, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard Threads
    Russia Cautions Against Niger Military Action Amid Protests
    Russia Cautions Against Niger Military Action Amid Protests
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Russia Cautions Against Niger Military Action Amid Protests

    Russia has cautioned that taking military measures against the individuals leading the coup in Niger could result in a prolonged and drawn-out conflict.

    The West African group ECOWAS granted authorization for a “readily available force” on Friday as a reaction to the military coup in Niger. The president of Ivory Coast also mentioned that this force could be sent into action “at the earliest opportunity.”

    The United States has supported initiatives aimed at reinstating Mohamed Bazoum, the ousted leader of Niger.

    Protesters who favored the coup, a few of them holding Russian flags, demonstrated outside a French military facility close to the capital city.

    While Moscow hasn’t officially supported the coup, the potential downfall of democracy in Niger could lead to a situation where Russia and the Western powers might find themselves in a proxy standoff.

    France and the United States both maintain military bases in Niger, which are utilized for conducting operations against extremist groups in the broader area.

    Advocates of the military junta have urged Western countries to exit the nation and expressed their backing for Russia.

    Protesters were observed on Friday, chanting slogans of “France and Ecowas, go down” near a French military facility located on the outskirts of Niamey, the capital city.

    According to AFP, several individuals were holding Russian flags and expressing their endorsement for Abdourahamane Tiani, the current leader overseeing the nation.

    In a communication released on Friday, the foreign ministry of Russia cautioned other countries in West Africa against deploying military forces to Niger.

    ALSO READ: Neighboring Nationsโ€™ Intervention Risks Ousted Presidentโ€™s Life: Niger Juntaโ€™s Warning

    It said: “We believe that a military solution to the crisis in Niger could lead to a protracted confrontation in that African country and a sharp destabilization of the situation in the Sahara-Sahel region as a whole.”

    According to reports, military representatives from ECOWAS nations are scheduled to convene on Saturday to formulate strategies for potential military involvement.

    The bloc has said it remains open to finding a diplomatic solution to the crisis, but Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu said on Thursday: “No option is taken off the table, including the use of force as a last resort.”

    The United States hasn’t directly supported military intervention, but it has urged the junta to step down and permit the return of the nation’s democratic constitution.

    In a statement, US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken said: “The United States appreciates the determination of Ecowas to explore all options for the peaceful resolution of the crisis.”

    In a distinct statement, earlier this week Mr. Blinken conveyed to the BBC his belief that the Russian private military organization Wagner might attempt to exploit the instability in Niger.

    Concerns are increasing regarding the well-being and security of President Bazoum, who has been in captivity since the military took control on July 26th.

    United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said on Friday: “Credible reports I have received indicate that the conditions of detention could amount to inhuman and degrading treatment, in violation of international human rights law.”

    European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said he believes Mr. Bazoum and his family “have been deprived of food, electricity, and medical care for several days”.

    Russia Cautions Against Niger Military Action Amid Protests

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    ian
    • Website

    Related Posts

    News

    Inside Job Exposed: Kenyan Prison Wardens Convicted for Orchestrating Daring Terrorist Escape

    January 13, 2026
    News

    โ€œTwo Drug Barons in Cabinet?โ€ Kenya Government Fires Back as Ex-Deputy President Sparks Explosive Drug Claims

    January 13, 2026
    News

    Kenyan Court Freezes Use of Private Lawyers by Government, Sparks Nationwide Legal Storm

    January 13, 2026
    News

    Donald Trump Accused of Rape in Newly Released Epstein Files; DOJ Calls Claims ‘Untrue and Sensationalist’

    December 24, 2025
    News

    Strange Deaths in Nairobiโ€™s Kilimani in 2025 Where Victims Fell Off High-Rise Buildings

    December 24, 2025
    News

    Tragic Night on Kenyan Roads: Former Chief Justiceโ€™s Campaign Team Involved in Accident

    December 24, 2025
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
    • About Us
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.