Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    GOSSIP A - Z
    • Home
    • POLITICS
    • News
    • CELEB TRENDS
    • Health
    • Relationship
    • SPORTS
    GOSSIP A - Z
    Home ยป Niger Generals Pledge Ousted President’s ‘High Treason’ Prosecution
    News

    Niger Generals Pledge Ousted President’s ‘High Treason’ Prosecution

    ianBy ianAugust 14, 2023No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard Threads
    Niger Generals Pledge Ousted President's 'High Treason' Prosecution
    Niger Generals Pledge Ousted President's 'High Treason' Prosecution
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Niger Generals Pledge Ousted President’s ‘High Treason’ Prosecution

    On Sunday night, the military government of Niger promised to bring charges of “high treason” against the deposed president, Mohamed Bazoum. The regime also criticized the West African leaders for enforcing sanctions on the nation.

    The West African regional organization, ECOWAS, implemented sanctions against Niger following the coup and is considering the possibility of employing military action against the group of military officers responsible for overthrowing President Bazoum, who had been democratically elected, on July 26th.

    The West African group has given the green light for sending a “readily available force to reinstate the rightful government” in Niger at the earliest opportunity. However, the group is still dedicated to seeking a diplomatic resolution to the ongoing crisis.

    Niger’s military commanders announced their intention to charge Bazoum with “serious betrayal of trust and jeopardizing both the domestic and international stability of Niger.” This statement was delivered by Colonel Major Amadou Abdramane in a televised address.

    Bazoum, aged 63, along with his family, has been under confinement at the official presidential residence in Niamey since the coup. There is growing global worry about the conditions he is facing while being detained.

    A member of his entourage said he saw his doctor on Saturday.

    “After this visit, the doctor raised no problems regarding the state of health of the deposed president and members of his family,” the military said.

    Additionally, they stated that the sanctions placed on Niger had created challenges for individuals to obtain a medication, sustenance, and power, and these measures were deemed as “unlawful, lacking compassion, and degrading”.

    ‘Open to diplomacy’

    The remarks were made shortly after religious facilitators held discussions with General Abdourahamane Tiani, the leader of the coup. During the talks, he expressed the willingness of his government to explore diplomatic solutions.

    Tiani “said their doors were open to explore diplomacy and peace in resolving the matter”, said Sheikh Bala Lau, a day after his Nigerian Muslim delegation held talks in the capital Niamey.

    Tiani “claimed the coup was well intended” and that the plotters “struck to stave off an imminent threat that would have affected” Nigeria as well as Niger, according to Lau’s statement.

    However, Tiani expressed that it was distressing that ECOWAS had given a deadline to reinstate Bazoum without considering “their perspective on the issue,” the announcement included.

    The Muslim authorities journeyed to Niamey with the approval of Nigerian President Bola Tinubu, who also holds the position of ECOWAS leader.

    Tinubu has taken a strong position against the sixth coup in an ECOWAS member state since 2020.

    The alliance has cut off both financial dealings and the provision of electricity and has shut down its borders with Niger, a landlocked nation. This action has obstructed essential imports to a country that ranks among the most economically challenged globally.

    ALSO READ: Niger President in High Spirits Despite Detention

    It provided a seven-day ultimatum on July 30th, demanding the reinstatement of Bazoum, or else they would consider employing force. However, the new leaders did not yield as the deadline passed.

    The bloc scrapped a Saturday crisis meeting on the coup due to be held in Ghana’s capital Accra for “technical reasons”.

    Protests supporting the recently established military leaders have become a frequent occurrence in Niamey.

    On Sunday, numerous individuals gathered at Seyni Kountche Stadium to show their backing for the National Council for the Safeguard of the Homeland (CNSP), the military leaders who have assumed control. The attendees, predominantly young, waved the flags of Niger along with those from Burkina Faso, Mali, and Russia during the concerts.

    The possibility of military involvement aimed at restoring Bazoum to power has caused a split among ECOWAS nations and triggered cautions from external countries such as Russia and Algeria.

    The nations bordering Niger, namely Mali and Burkina Faso, both under military rule following coup takeovers, have expressed that any form of intervention would be viewed as an act of war against them.

    Niger Generals Pledge Ousted President’s ‘High Treason’ Prosecution

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    ian
    • Website

    Related Posts

    News

    Inside Job Exposed: Kenyan Prison Wardens Convicted for Orchestrating Daring Terrorist Escape

    January 13, 2026
    News

    โ€œTwo Drug Barons in Cabinet?โ€ Kenya Government Fires Back as Ex-Deputy President Sparks Explosive Drug Claims

    January 13, 2026
    News

    Kenyan Court Freezes Use of Private Lawyers by Government, Sparks Nationwide Legal Storm

    January 13, 2026
    News

    Donald Trump Accused of Rape in Newly Released Epstein Files; DOJ Calls Claims ‘Untrue and Sensationalist’

    December 24, 2025
    News

    Strange Deaths in Nairobiโ€™s Kilimani in 2025 Where Victims Fell Off High-Rise Buildings

    December 24, 2025
    News

    Tragic Night on Kenyan Roads: Former Chief Justiceโ€™s Campaign Team Involved in Accident

    December 24, 2025
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
    • About Us
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.