Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    GOSSIP A - Z
    • Home
    • POLITICS
    • News
    • CELEB TRENDS
    • Health
    • Relationship
    • SPORTS
    GOSSIP A - Z
    Home » Libya floods: Level of destruction “never seen before”, death toll reaches 11,300
    News

    Libya floods: Level of destruction “never seen before”, death toll reaches 11,300

    ianBy ianSeptember 15, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard Threads
    Libya floods: Level of destruction “never seen before”, death toll reaches 11,300
    Libya floods: Level of destruction “never seen before”, death toll reaches 11,300
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Libya floods: Level of destruction “never seen before”, death toll reaches 11,300

    The current extent of the devastation caused by floods in eastern Libya is becoming apparent. The provisional death toll stood at 11,300, the secretary-general of the Libyan Red Crescent said late Thursday (Sep. 14).

    Untold numbers are buried under mud and debris including overturned cars and chunks of concrete. 

    The collapse of two dams in the aftermath of torrential rain caused the most destruction.

    The Permanent Representative of Libya to the United Nations referred to the catastrophe as “something never seen in Libya before.”

    “[…] the numbers are changing as we speak. I mean, the numbers are thousands”, Taher El-Sonni said on Thursday morning. 

    “[…] The direct hit came to an area where it`s around 30,000. And as we speak now, many of those are either being in a rescue effort or missing because they were hit badly when that happens. So I cannot really confirm the final numbers, but it`s really a high level of magnitude. And I`m afraid we will hear really large numbers, maybe even more than what has been confirmed so far.”

    Libya’s eastern administration in Benghazi city approved a budget of nearly 2 billion $US to help flood-affected areas.

    The parliament also announced a committee had been set up to follow up on measures to deal with the aftermath of the floods.

    The World Health Organization said it was releasing funds to support Libya in addition to 28 metric tons of trauma, surgical, and emergency supplies due to arrive on Friday.

    International aid is progressively arriving. And local administrations continue search efforts.

    ALSO READ: At least 5,000 dead, thousands more missing after Libya storm

    The deadly floods that devastated eastern Libya after storm Daniel.

    Libya is divided between two rival administrations, one in the east and one in the west.

    In the midst of hardship, government agencies across the country rushed to help the affected areas.

    As of Wednesday (Sep.13), at least 30,000 people were displaced by the flooding in the port city of Derna.

    The World Meteorological Organization head Petteri Taalas said “The emergency management authorities would have been able to carry out the evacuation If there was a normal operating meteorological service.”

    Taher El-Sonni, the Permanent Representative of the State of Libya to the United Nations added that “In terms of the early warning. I mean, we knew that there was a storm and people were warned that there was a storm going to come, but nobody expected the magnitude. I mean, unfortunately, the city’s infrastructure was not that perfect. But still, with the magnitude of such a flood, two dams were damaged and blasted and exploded. And that`s why the real death toll increased because of that flood that came more than the eye of the storm hit the city itself. So it was just unfortunately all this together which led to that.”

    Libya floods: Level of destruction “never seen before”, death toll reaches 11,300

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    ian
    • Website

    Related Posts

    News

    Inside Job Exposed: Kenyan Prison Wardens Convicted for Orchestrating Daring Terrorist Escape

    January 13, 2026
    News

    “Two Drug Barons in Cabinet?” Kenya Government Fires Back as Ex-Deputy President Sparks Explosive Drug Claims

    January 13, 2026
    News

    Kenyan Court Freezes Use of Private Lawyers by Government, Sparks Nationwide Legal Storm

    January 13, 2026
    News

    Donald Trump Accused of Rape in Newly Released Epstein Files; DOJ Calls Claims ‘Untrue and Sensationalist’

    December 24, 2025
    News

    Strange Deaths in Nairobi’s Kilimani in 2025 Where Victims Fell Off High-Rise Buildings

    December 24, 2025
    News

    Tragic Night on Kenyan Roads: Former Chief Justice’s Campaign Team Involved in Accident

    December 24, 2025
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
    • About Us
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.