― Advertisement ―

HomeNewsInvestigation Launched into Rex Kanyike Masai's Death by IPOA

Investigation Launched into Rex Kanyike Masai’s Death by IPOA

Investigation Launched into Rex Kanyike Masai’s Death by IPOA

The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) has launched investigations into the fatal shooting of Rex Kanyike Masai, the 24-year-old man shot dead by police in Nairobi on Thursday during the anti-finance bill demonstrations.

In a statement on X, IPOA Chairperson Anne Makori, while condoling with the family of the deceased, highlighted that the state agency had been monitoring police conduct since the onset of the protests on Tuesday.

Makori further expressed that during the demonstrations, both protestors and police largely showed restraint. She however highlighted specific incidents such as the case of Masai and injuries sustained by other protesters during the demonstrations.

“The Authority commends the protesters for holding peaceful demonstrations while unarmed and equally commend the National Police Service’s visible restraint unlike in previous demonstrations,” she said.

“However, the Authority has documented the death of Mr. Rex Masai allegedly as a result of a police shooting and several serious injuries suffered by other demonstrators including police officers. Accordingly, the Authority has this morning launched Investigations into the fatal shooting and our investigation team has since established contact with the family of Mr. Masai.”


Additionally, Makori called for continued restraint by Police and members of the public participating in the demos.

“The Authority condoles with the family of Mr. Masai, friends, and all Kenyans affected by the unfortunate event. IPOA further wishes a quick recovery to all persons who were injured. IPOA remains committed to independence, impartiality, fairness, and unbiased In all Its operations,” she said.

Kanyike was heading home at around 7 pm in the company of a friend when he was shot in the knee outside the Hilton Hotel along Moi Avenue by a rogue cop using live rounds.

The bullet remained lodged in his body until he passed away from excessive bleeding.

It is reported that he spent more than 20 minutes trying to seek medical attention before being rushed to Bliss Medical Centre along Moi Avenue where he was confirmed dead on arrival.

Investigation Launched into Rex Kanyike Masai’s Death by IPOA