South Africa Army Defends Russia Naval Drills Amid Controversy
The South African military defended its decision to host controversial naval exercises with Russia and China on Wednesday, which coincided with the first anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Originally scheduled to begin last week, the Mosi-II exercise began on Wednesday along the eastern coast of South Africa.
On the eve of the anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, however, the drills were deemed “politically dubious” and “insensitive” by commentators.
ALSO READ: New Start Treaty: Risks of Russiaโs Suspension
Additionally, the United States and the European Union have criticized the exercises.
South Africa has refused to condemn the invasion of Ukraine, which has substantially isolated Russia on the international stage, stating that it prefers dialogue to end the conflict.
Lieutenant-General Siphiwe Sangweni, chief of joint operations for the South African National Defense Force, stated at a news conference in the eastern port city of Richards Bay, “There is a distinction between the military and politics.”
He stated that the army was “guided by the government” but also required training from other military forces to protect South Africa and participate in international peacekeeping missions.
“Yes, there will be other countries that disagree with our approach, butโฆ all nations are sovereign and have the right to handle matters as they see fit,” he said.
Sangweni stated that cooperation and coordination with all other militaries were “crucial.”
More than 350 members of the armed forces of South Africa will participate in the exercises, which conclude on February 27. South Africa stated that Russia is “leading” the exercises.
ALSO READ: Biden Criticizes Putinโs Suspension of Nuclear Arms Treaty Involvement as โBig Mistakeโ
The exercises will involve a Russian military frigate equipped with a potent Zircon missile system and a Chinese destroyer.
The Russian military said in a statement released earlier on Wednesday that the frigate “Admiral Gorshkov” will be used to practice tactics for defending against threats to maritime security.
Oleg Gladkiy, a commander and captain with the Russian contingent, stated through a translator that the exercises will include the mutual maneuvering of the three nations’ ships to simulate the liberation of a vessel captured by pirates, as well as “artillery fire” that will not involve the firing of hypersonic missiles.
A joint statement read by a South African official stated that the Russian vessel would not fire any missiles during the exercises.
Brazil is an observer in the second exercise of this type involving South Africa, China, and Russia.
READ MORE:
- Ruto Holds Virtual Meeting With Uhuru, 3 Other Ex-African PresidentsRuto Holds Virtual Meeting With Uhuru, 3 Other Ex-African Presidents Kenyan President William Ruto has
- Kenya: Rape Suspect Caught Stealing Prosecutor’s Phone at Kibera CourtKenya: Rape Suspect Caught Stealing Prosecutor’s Phone at Kibera Court A man accused of rape
- Trans Nzoia Governor George Natembeya Faces Scrutiny Over Suspicious Withdrawal of MillionsTrans Nzoia Governor George Natembeya Faces Scrutiny Over Suspicious Withdrawal of Millions Trans Nzoia Governor
- Murkomen Under Fire Over Remarks on Gen Z Mental Health, Forced to ApologizeMurkomen Under Fire Over Remarks on Gen Z Mental Health, Forced to Apologize Days after
- Donald Trump Appoints Daughter’s Father-in-Law, Massad Boulos, as Senior Advisor for AfricaDonald Trump Appoints Daughter’s Father-in-Law, Massad Boulos, as Senior Advisor for Africa Washington, D.C. โ