Senegal to End Foreign Military Presence by 2025, Says President Faye
Senegal’s President, Bassirou Dioumaye Faye, announced in a New Year speech on Tuesday that all foreign military forces will leave the country by 2025.
Faye’s announcement follows his decision last month to order the closure of French military bases in Senegal, the countryโs former colonial power.
“I have instructed the Minister of Armed Forces to propose a new defense and security cooperation plan, which will include ending all foreign military presence by 2025,” Faye, who was elected in March, stated.
This is the first time he has set a specific deadline for the removal of foreign military bases.
“Senegal’s allies will be treated as strategic partners in an open and diverse cooperation framework,” he added.
ALSO READ:
- Inside Job Exposed: Kenyan Prison Wardens Convicted for Orchestrating Daring Terrorist Escape
- Uganda Pulls the Plug: Nationwide Internet Blackout Ordered Days Before Crucial General Election
- African Elections Under the Spotlight as Zambia Turns to Kenya Ahead of 2026 Vote
- โTwo Drug Barons in Cabinet?โ Kenya Government Fires Back as Ex-Deputy President Sparks Explosive Drug Claims
- Kenyan Court Freezes Use of Private Lawyers by Government, Sparks Nationwide Legal Storm
Faye, who took office in April, campaigned on a promise to strengthen Senegal’s sovereignty and reduce reliance on foreign powers.
On November 28, he told AFP that French military bases in Senegal were incompatible with the nation’s sovereignty.
“Senegal is an independent country, and sovereignty does not allow foreign military bases,” Faye said, 64 years after Senegal gained independence from France.
However, he emphasized that this move does not mean a complete break with France. “France is still a key partner in terms of investment, French companies, and citizens living in Senegal,” Faye concluded.
Senegal to End Foreign Military Presence by 2025, Says President Faye
