Maai Mahiu Tragedy: Key Details Revealed
President William Ruto visited the site of the Maai Mahiu flooding tragedy Tuesday. Here’s what we know about the situation so far.
1. The official death toll, which was confirmed by President Ruto, stood at 48 as of at Tuesday 3.30 pm. Search is still ongoing for at least 40 others who are missing, so this figure is likely to go up. This figure includes a survivor who was taken to the Naivasha Sub-County Hospital ICU but succumbed to injuries last night.
2. The raging waters that killed people and left dozens of others injured came from a water-filled gulley in Kiambu that flowed down to Naivasha Sub-County. This was confirmed by the Water Resources Management Authority (Warma)
3. The gulley,ย whichย isย locatedย at the Old Kijabe railway tunnel, began filling with water the previous week. Some residents were reportedly warned of impending danger after heavy rains filled it quickly.
ALSO READ:
- Muturi Labels Adan Mohamed as Rutoโs Poster Boy for Deals Behind the Scenes in Sh129 Billion Scandal Involving Russians
- SEX SCANDAL AT THE ICC: Top Prosecutor Karim Khan Accused of Sexual Misconduct and Vicious Retaliation Against Staff
- Kimani Ichungโwah Urges Tharaka Nithi to Support Rutoโs Second Term for Kindikiโs 2032 Presidency
- Ndii Responds After Muturi’s Revelation of Ksh129B Russian Deal: “AG Doesnโt Sign Agreements”
- Details of Late Night Meeting to Spare Ruto from Embarrassment in Mt Kenya
4. The military will join other rescuers in the search for bodies after President Ruto made the order Tuesday. The NYS was deployed to the site Monday to help with the situation.
5. President Ruto said families affected by the tragedy will get support from the government. However, he did not specify what the support would entail or the sum that had been set aside for compensation.
6. President Ruto said people living around the area of the area of the tragedy should not go back. Additionally, he ordered that people living in areas mapped as being at risk of flooding and landslides across the country will be ordered out from tomorrow to save lives. The government will help them find alternative accommodation, he added.ย
Maai Mahiu Tragedy: Key Details Revealed